Here is a note from President Dave Eisler (pictured) to the Ferris State University community regarding the positive enrollment numbers for the Fall 2010 semester:
Official enrollment numbers are in and the news is truly remarkable. We set records with our headcount numbers overall, in Big Rapids, online and at Kendall College of Art and Design. Overall Student Credit Hours are also at record levels, although credit hours on the Big Rapids campus are down 1,300. Our growth is not limited to one factor, but comes through a number of strengths. We are attracting more freshmen, more transfer students, retaining more students, and doing so by providing multiple points of access to the education we provide at Ferris State University. Our students are better prepared and we are seeing success in attracting more students of diverse backgrounds. Here are highlights from our enrollment report:Check back for more items from the desk of the president here on the Ferris State University Blog.
· 14,381 overall, up 516 or 3.72 percent
· 9,931 in Big Rapids, up 66 or .67 percent
· 1,419 at Kendall, up 34 or 2.45 percent
· 622 in on-line programs, up 245 or 65 percent
New Students –
· Freshman students up 114 or 5.08 percent
· Freshman students in Big Rapids up 74 or 3.92 percent
· Transfer students up 231 or 13.77 percent
· Transfer students in Big Rapids up 111 or 13.09 percent
· Entering freshman ACT average increased from 21.1 to 21.4
Credit Hours –
· 166,682, up 3,157 or 1.93 percent
· 125,864.5 in Big Rapids, down 1,300 or -1.02 percent
Race and Ethnicity –
· African American, up 69 or 7.77 percent
· Hispanic, up 44 or 14.85 percent
· Two or more races, up 112 or 180.65 percent
Of all these numbers one of the most exciting is our first to second-year retention of bachelor degree students, which is up four percent to 75 percent and is the highest retention level in Ferris history.
These retention figures underline our success in working together across many different programs, departments and colleges. Attracting students, and especially retaining them, requires the concerted efforts of the entire Ferris community. Thank you all.
Within this team effort, however, special congratulations are due to Dan Burcham and the admissions group for their hard work in attracting new students to our campus, making these very heartening numbers a reality. A copy of the 4th day enrollment report may be accessed here –